Award of Merit Competition
Award of Merit Rules and Regulations
First Place $150.00 Cash Award
Second Place $100.00 Cash Award
Third Place $ 50.00 Cash Award
- Radiologic Science, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound, Nuclear Medicine and MRI students in an accredited Radiologic Science or Medical Imaging Program are encouraged to enter this competition.
- The student must be a TSRT member by January 16, 2019 and at the time of the 2019 Annual Meeting. TSRT online membership applications can be found at www.txsrt.org
- The following individuals/groups are prohibited from entering this competition: Companies, School Employees, Faculty Members, Educators, TSRT Board Members, Judges, and Companies/Individuals with TSRT Contracts.
Students registered in a primary medical imaging modality (Radiography, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, etc.) regardless of enrollment status, will be qualified as a registered technologist: therefore, the individual is ineligible to compete with non-registered student technologists. This standard will be applied according to the status during the time of competition.
- TSRT reserves the right to limit the number of manuscripts for this competition to 25. The first 25 manuscripts that meet the Rules/Regulations criteria will be accepted. Educators and students will be notified of any limitations by the Vice President of TSRT via email as the deadline for submission approaches.
- The student must complete an online 2019 Application for Award of Merit Competition that is available below.
- The student must email the following to firstname.lastname@example.orgThis email must include: 1) the manuscript/reference page in Microsoft Word only format 2) Program Director verification letter of your student status. The attached letter from your Program Director must be on college/school letterhead and dated between January 1st and January 25th. The email should be labeled with the student’s name and competition name in the subject line. The deadline for submission is January 25, 2019
- The student must be registered and in attendance at the Annual Meeting to be considered for an award.
- A student may submit only one manuscript, during the 2019 Annual Meeting and only one (1) student author per manuscript.
- Manuscripts submitted for the Award of Merit Competition shall become the property of the TSRT.
- The manuscript must be Microsoft Word, double-spaced, and typed using one (1) inch margins on all sides. Acceptable font styles are Arial, Times, New Roman, or Courier at a 12 font size.
- All graphs, photos, and illustrations must be placed at the end of the manuscript and cited within the text.
- Materials must be original compositions of the student/author and must reflect that research of the subject matter had taken place.
- Proper credit must be given when using quotations for all copied materials including charts, photographs, drawings, etc. Plagiarism of any type will result in disqualification. Your reference page shall be at the end of the manuscript and emailed to TSRT as one unit.
- The manuscript must not have been previously published or submitted at any previous TSRT or ASRT meetings.
- The manuscript must be written entirely by the student.
- The manuscript must be at least five (5) pages and not exceed ten (10) pages. This does not include the cover page or reference page.
- The quality of the manuscript must demonstrate proper use of grammar and sentence structure.
- The manuscript must consist of three major parts: the introduction, the body, and the summary. The manuscript should introduce an idea or thought, make a point or draw a conclusion, and then summarize the points.
- The manuscript must include 10 multiple choice questions with an answer key.
- The President and Vice President of TSRT will appoint the judges for the Award of Merit Competition. Only the President and Vice President of the TSRT shall know the names of the judges. There will be a minimum of three (3) judges selected for the final judging of the competition. The judges are responsible to the President and Vice President and their decisions shall be final.
- Judges will review the manuscript to see if it meets TSRT Rules/Regulations criteria.
- Judges scores will reflect the following topics:
- The introduction of new procedures or techniques
- Evidence of research demonstrated
- Bibliography included
- Proper credit given to copied or referenced material
- Orderliness and clarity of thoughts or ideas
- Practical value to technologists
- Usage of proper grammatical structure to include correct spelling
- Level of difficulty of subject matter
- The maximum score a manuscript may receive from each judge is 360 points. Only the Vice President of TSRT and/or Award of Merit Coordinator will know the number of points accumulated for each manuscript.
Award of Merit Coordinator Duties
- The Award of Merit Coordinator is responsible for the revision/distribution of the Rules and Regulations for the 2019 Award of Merit Competition and the receipt of all manuscripts submitted for the competition.
- The coordinator along with the TSRT Executive Office Manager will verify the TSRT membership of each student and that the email dates of the application is between January 1 and January 25, 2019.
- The coordinator will notify an applicant by letter/email if the manuscript has any obvious violations of the Rules/Regulations. Judges will have final say if a manuscript does not meet the criteria of the competition.
- The coordinator will email the author if the application/manuscript is dated too early or too late or if the students TSRT membership cannot be verified. Deadlines are firm.
- Names of the authors of the manuscript authors will not be released until the judging results are completed and received by the President and Vice President.
Any questions regarding the eligibility of an applicant’s manuscript that cannot be settled by the Award of Merit Coordinator must be submitted to the President of the TSRT. If not satisfactorily settled by the President, eligibility status will be decided by the TSRT Board of Directors and Officers and their decision shall be final.
Presentation of Awards
- Ribbons shall be place on the award-winning manuscripts on April 5, 2019. The winners will be announced and ribbons/cash awards will be presented. Winners are encouraged to attend the Awards Ceremony.
- If the winning student is unable to attend the Awards Ceremony, their award will be mailed to the Program Director of their educational program. It will be the responsibility of the director/institution to forward and distribute the award to the recipient.
Deadline Date is January 25, 2019
Presentation of Awards
- Ribbons shall be placed on the manuscripts on the 6th of April 2018. Winners are encouraged to attend the Saturday afternoon during the last business session of the 2018 Annual Meeting. Their names will be announced and ribbons/cash awards will be presented.
- If the winning student is unable to attend the above meeting, their ribbon/cash awards will be mailed to the Director of the recipient’s educational institution. It will be the responsibility of the director/institution to forward and distribute the award to the recipients.
Award of Merit Competition Online Application
Texas Society Radiologic Technologists
2019 Award of Merit Judge’s Scoring Sheet
|Criteria Check List||Yes||No|
1. correct font style
2. lines are double spaced
3. margins are 1 inch on all sides
|Yes||No||4) typed on one side of paper
5) manuscript is between 5 to 10
pages in length.
|Are there any signs of plagiarism?|
|References and Bibliographies are Included?|
|Does the manuscript meet the criteria for judging?|
|Originality – New approach, procedure, or technique|
|Originality – Evidence of research
|Originality – Knowledge of subject
|Value/Interest – Practical or Educational Value to technologists|
|Value/Interest – Contribution to higher standard of practice in radiologic technology.|
|Value/Interest – Adds new information to the field of radiologic technology.|
|Care in Preparation – Grammar, Spelling, Writing|
|Care in Preparation – Organization of material and neatness|
Texas Society of Radiologic Technologists
2019 Application for Award of Merit Competition
Title of Manuscript: ___________________________________________________________________________________
|Name of Student Author:|
|Home Phone with Area Code|
|Day Phone (Work or School)|
|Are you a __student or __RT (check one) in an accredited Radiologic Science/Therapy Program? ____ Yes ____ No|
|Are you a TSRT student member by January 16, 2019? ____ Yes ____ No
If not, go to www.txsrt.org and complete a TSRT application and submit with payment by January 16, 2019.
|Name of School|
|Name of Program Director|
Read and know the above 2019 Student Award of Merit Competition Rules and Regulations.
- The Award of Merit application (along with appropriate paperwork) must be e-mailed to TSRT and e-mail dates must be between January 16 and January 25, 2019. Student’s name and title of competition must be placed in the Subject Line of the email.
- You must be a TSRT student/active member by January 16, 2019 and a radiologic science student during the time of the 2019 Annual Meeting.
- Attach a letter from your Program Director (with college/school logo) verifying your student status.
Typed ‘signature’ of Program Director will be OK.
- Only one Award of Merit application, manuscript, and program director verification letter per e-mail.
|I have read the above rules and regulations. I understand and agree to abide by these rules and regulations governing the Award of Merit Competition.
TYPE YOUR INITIALS IN ADJOINING COLUMN.
|Student: Type Your Initials Here:|
E-Mail to: email@example.com
(Subject line: Student’s name and title of competition.)
Office of the Vice President
E-Mail Dates Accepted: Between January 16 and January 25,, 2019. Use Microsoft Word only