CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST IN TEXAS (CERTT)
3700 Preston Rd #332
Plano, Texas 75093
GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES
The TEXAS SOCIETY OF RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGISTS, INC. (TSRT), and the AMERICAN REGISTRY OF RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGISTS (ARRT) have entered into an agreement which provides that the TSRT CERTT program can approve continuing education for TSRT and TSRT Affiliate Subordinates and Chapters sponsored continuing education activities to be recognized by and acceptable to the AMERICAN REGISTRY OF RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGISTS (ARRT) as Category A continuing education.
The TEXAS MEDICAL BOARD (TMB) MEDICAL RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGISTS (MRT) CERTIFICATION PROGRAM recognizes TSRT as an approval agency for continuing education and accepts continuing education activities approved by the TSRT CERTT program for Certified Medical Radiologic Technologists and Limited Medical Radiologic Technologists certification renewal.
- The American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT) is a national professional association which, through its Recognized Continuing Education Evaluation Mechanism (RCEEM), recognizes and approves continuing education activities relative to the radiologic sciences. The ASRT is the certification agency for radiologic technologists that determines and oversees continuing education requirements.
- The Texas Society of Radiologic Technologists, Inc. (TSRT) is affiliated with ASRT.
- TSRT Affiliate Subordinates and Chapters are those professional organizations that are affiliated with TSRT. Affiliate Societies in good standing with TSRT are those societies that have submitted an Affiliate Renewal Charter Form into the TSRT Executive Office by June 30 of each year. Affiliate Renewal Forms may be completed on-line by visiting the TSRT Website at www.tsrt.info
- TSRT is recognized by the TMB MRT Certification Program as an agency for reviewing and approving continuing education activities to meet the mandatory continuing education requirements of the Medical Radiologic Technologists Certificate Act, V.T.C.S. article 4512m.
- The American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) is a national credentialing agency for Radiologic Technologists, Nuclear Medicine Technologists, and Radiation Therapists.
- Category A credit is awarded by a Recognized Continuing Education Evaluation Mechanism (RCEEM) to education activities which qualify as a CE activity as defined by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists. Activities approved by one of the following organizations are recognized by the ARRT as Category A only if relevant to the radiologic sciences profession: American Medical Association (AMA), American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). TSRT CERTT approval is based on evaluation of activity objectives, course outline and faculty credentials. In order to grant Category A credit, the TSRT CERTT program must evaluate the request for approval prior to the scheduled date of activity. The TSRT CERTT program will grant Category A credit only to acceptable educational activities sponsored by TSRT or TSRT affiliates.
- TSRT Continuing Education Activity Classifications
- DIRECT (D) are planned educational activities which are directly related to the use and application of ionizing forms of radiation to produce diagnostic images and /or administer treatment to human beings for medical purposes. Directly related topics include, but are not limited to: radiation safety, radiation biology and radiation physics; anatomical positioning; radiographic exposure technique; emerging imaging modality study; patient care associated with radiologic procedure; radiopharmaceutics, pharmaceutics and contrast media application; computer function and application in radiology; mammography applications; nuclear medicine application; and radiation therapy applications.
- INDIRECT (I) are learning activities, which are indirectly related to radiologic technology. Indirectly related topics include, but are not limited to, patient care, computer science, computer literacy, introduction to computers or computer software, physics human behavioral sciences, mathematics, communication skills, public speaking, technical writing, management, administration, accounting, ethics, adult education, medical sciences, and health sciences.
- Authorized Representative/ Contact is a person designated by the sponsor to be responsible for documenting attendance. They are also the people submitting the Request for Approval Form.
- Contact Hours are defined by the length of the presentation. A continuing education activity must be at least fifty (50) minutes in length to receive approval. An activity of 50-74 minutes is eligible to receive one (1) credit, 75-99 minutes is eligible to receive one and one-half (1 1/2 ) credits and 100-124 minutes is eligible to receive two (2) credits.
- A denied course that does not meet the content requirement according to the definition of a CE activity as described by the ARRT. A denied course cannot be used for Category A or Category B credits.
- Documentation Proof of participation in a continuing education activity. Documentation must include the date of attendance, title, content of activity, number of contact hours, name of the sponsor and the signature of the instructor or representative of the organization that sponsored the activity.
- This TSRT CERTT program does not provide a method of tracking CE credits. If a member wishes ASRT to track their CEU’s, the individual member needs to fax or mail a copy of their CEU certificate, along with a copy of their TSRT membership card to the ASRT.
- A course covers one subject under one title.
- Objectives: What the participant will learn as a result of the educational activity.
- Outline: A list of the major and minor topics of the presentation.
- CRITERIA FOR APPROVAL OF CONTINUING EDUCATION
- A planned program of continuing education of radiologic sciences involves the organized presentation of the body of knowledge so that the subject matter is comprehensively covered in sufficient detail to meet the educational objectives of the course. A continuing education activity sufficient for approval must be a planned program including, but not limited to: defined objectives, outline of course material, scope of activity clearly defined, faculty credentials and must be a subject related, directly or indirectly, to the radiologic sciences.
- Subject matter of any continuing education activity must provide sufficient details to meet the objectives of the activity.
- Activities must be presented by an individual with credentials relevant to the material being presented.
- Activities not considered to be continuing education activities include, but are not limited to: journal clubs, tours or viewing exhibits, poster sessions, radiologic technology student papers, elected office or committee appointments, attendance at business sessions of TSRT or TSRT Affiliates, student education tournaments and other non-educational activities of TSRT and TSRT Affiliates.
- PROCEDURE FOR APPROVAL THROUGH CERTT OFFICE
- TSRT and TSRT Affiliates
- Requests for CERTT approval shall be submitted to the TSRT Executive Office.
- All Requests for Approval must be submitted at least thirty (30) days prior to the scheduled date of the educational activity. Requests for Approval received in the Executive Office less than thirty (30) days prior to the scheduled date of presentation will not be reviewed.
- Requests for Approval forms may be obtained from the TSRT Executive Office.
- When a Request for Approval is received in the TSRT CERTT office, a CERTT reference number will be assigned to each activity.
- Documentation of completion for continuing education activity must be made available to Non-TSRT and Non-ASRT members or participants for verification of attendance at approved activities.
- Expiration date for continuing education activities approved by CERTT for TSRT and TSRT Affiliates is for scheduled date of presentation.
- Activities approved by CERTT for TSRT and TSRT Affiliates will be recognized by the ASRT, accepted by ARRT as Category A for TDSHS-MRT card holders only and accepted by TDSHS MRT program for CMRT and LMRT certificate renewal. The TSRT CERTT office will not designate any approved programs as Category B.
- Based on the TSRT/ARRT Agreement, ARRT reserves the right to audit the approval of any continuing education program to verify adherence to the guidelines and procedures as defined, and to determine its applicability to the radiologic sciences; in any such case, the ARRTs findings shall be final.
- TSRT will maintain attendance records for four (4) years following the presentation.
- An evaluation form will be provided by the TSRT Executive Office. These evaluation forms must be submitted to this office along with the signed Attendance Verification Sheets and signed Instruction Form for Attendance Verification Sheets.
- Other Sponsoring Organizations
- Sponsoring organizations that may submit continuing education for CERTT approval include, but are not limited to: JCAHO/Medicare approved hospitals, facilities, clinics, commercial companies and individuals or companies in the business of providing continuing education.
- Programs approved by sponsoring organizations as defined in number 1, are recognized by the TMB MRT programs as acceptable continuing education activities to meet the mandatory continuing education requirements of the TMB MRT Certification Program as mandated by the Medical Radiologic Technologist Certification Act, V.T.C.S. article 4512m. These programs are neither approved nor eligible for Category A activities as defined by ARRT. To gain ASRT approval and seek classification as ARRT Category A, requests for approval must be submitted directly to the ASRT Department of Education.
- All Requests for Approval must be submitted at least thirty (30) days prior to the scheduled date of the educational activity. Fees, if applicable, must accompany the Request for Approval. Requests for Approval received in the TSRT Executive Office less than thirty (30) days prior to the scheduled date of presentation will not be reviewed.
- Requests for approval forms may be obtained from the TSRT Executive Office.
- Requests for Approval may be submitted for single presentations. Single presentations are approved for one (1) time for the date specified on the Request for Approval. At the end of the approval period, a new Request for Approval must be submitted if the program is to continue to be presented. Participants will not receive credit for attending or participating in programs that are presented after the expiration date.
- Documentation of completion for continuing education activities must be made available to non-TSRT and non-ASRT members/participants for verification of attendance at approved activities.
- Requests for Approval for post approval of continuing education activities is limited to speaker changes. In order to qualify, the original presentation must have been approved and the substitute speaker must speak on the same topic and use the outline as submitted. A CV must be submitted for the substitute speaker.An evaluation form will be provided by the TSRT Executive Office. The completed evaluation forms must be submitted to this office along with the signed Attendance Verification Sheets and the signed Instruction Form for Attendance Verification Sheets.
The TSRT CERTT program is a mechanism for reviewing, evaluating, approving, documenting, recording and reporting continuing education activities of participants. TSRT Voting Members will receive a computerized report annually of their education activities reported to this office upon request.
- Enrollment Fees
- TSRT Voting Members are enrolled in the CERTT CEU Tracking program free. It is up to the TSRT Voting Member to review their CEU Report and notify the TSRT Executive Office of any discrepancy. On TSRT CERTT Approved courses will be tracked. It is up to the individual to fax or mail a copy of their CEU certificated into the TSRT Executive Office for tracking. A copy of the TSRT Membership Card must be attached to the submission of CEU certificate.
- Fees for Processing Requests for Approval
- TSRT is exempt from paying fees for program evaluation.
- TSRT Affiliates in good standing with TSRT are exempted from paying fees for program evaluation. This free approval will designate direct or indirect requirements need for the TMB MRT Program and Category A designation as needed for the ARRT.
- TSRT Affiliates not in good standing with TSRT and all other sponsoring organizations are subject to the following fees:
- Single Presentation: $50.00 for the first lecture hour and $10.00 for each additional hour or fraction of an hour.
- Proof of participation in an educational activity (certificate) will be provided to all participants by affiliate societies or sponsoring organizations. The following fee is established for TSRT affiliate societies educational activities only: proof of participation is free to all current TSRT members. Non TSRT members will be charged a $5.00 per educational activity hour for their certificates.
- DELINEATION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsibilities of Sponsoring Organization/Contact Person:
- Submit the Request for approval to this office as required.
- Include with the Request for Approval: name of sponsoring organization, name of contact person, complete mailing address of contact person along with telephone and fax numbers, list of defined objectives, outline of course material, faculty credentials and copies of hand outs or study guide, if applicable. If a seminar or single course is over two hours does require a schedule to be included.
- Provide attendance verification sheet received from this office at presentation of approved program. These are the only attendance sheets that will be accepted by this office.
- Instruct the participants on the proper method for completing the attendance verification sheet. (Instruction Form For Completing Attendance Verification Sheets)
- Mail the original attendance verification sheets to this office (keep a copy for your files) within ten (10) days following the activity.
- Mail the evaluation forms to this office along with the attendance verification sheets.
- Responsibility of the CERTT Participant:
- To maintain current membership with TSRT.
- PRINT name and social security number on attendance verification sheet when attending CERTT approved continuing education activities; place membership identification number in the column identified as TSRT if you are a paid member of TSRT and a check mark in the column marked as ASRT Member if you are an ASRT Member. Names and Social Security Numbers not legible or failure to mark in the TSRT or ASRT column will result in credit not being recorded in the participants file.
- Responsibility of the CERTT Office:
- To review all Requests for Approval in a timely fashion.
- To enter into the computer, only from TSRT CERTT Attendance Verification Sheets, continuing education activities of the CERTT participants who have requested CEU certificate tracking.
- To provide, to paid TSRT members, an annual report of continuing education activities reported to this office. This report will be mailed upon request.
- To keep on file, Requests for Approval, with supportive documentation, and Attendance Verification Sheets for a period of four (4) years following the date of the activity. In order to conserve filing space, evaluation forms may be summarized, keeping the summary and discarding the actual evaluation forms.
- TSRT CERTT approval of continuing education activities does not indicate endorsement by TSRT, TSRT Affiliates, ASRT or ARRT.
- Incomplete Request for Approval will be returned for completion. The TSRT CERTT office is not responsible if this causes processing to be too late for this activity.
- Requests for Approval received less than thirty (30) days prior to the scheduled date of the activity will not be reviewed.
- Should evaluation forms indicate that the quality of the program is sub-standard due to failure to meet stated objectives, follow course outline as submitted or is inappropriate as continuing education for medical radiologic technologists, CERTT approval may be revoked upon recommendation of the CERTT Committee and approval by the TSRT Board. The decision of the TSRT Board shall be final. Fees, if applicable, will not be refunded.
1987, Adopted 2016, Revised
1989, Revised 2017, Revised
CERTT Request for Approval Form
The file will open in MSWord (depending on your computer configuration, Word may actually open in the browser window). You can then type in all the necessary information and print it out to mail or fax the completed form to the office.